POLLACK recommends the following guidelines for fabric care.
notes or cautions that may apply are noted below.
To prevent build up of dirt and dust particles, which have impurities that affect fabrics, it is important to vacuum upholstered pieces often with a soft brush attachment. Regular rotation of loose cushions will
equalize the wear and prolong the life of your fabric.
Dry cleaning is recommended for most fabrics, except where noted, and should be done at regular intervals
by a reputable professional cleaner specializing in home furnishings. Always advise the dry cleaner of the
fiber content of the fabric prior to any treatment.
Care should be taken to use the proper temperature settings for each fiber when steaming or ironing.
- Immediately blot the affected area lightly with a clean, dry cloth.
- It is best to consult a professional home furnishings cleaning service, advising them of the type of stain and the fiber content of the fabric to be treated.
- Work in a well ventilated area, away from open flames.
- Always pre-test any recommended cleaning agent on a small, inconspicuous area of the fabric to make sure there are no problems with colorfastness, shrinkage or spotting.
- Do not apply any solvent directly to the stain; moisten a clean cloth with the solvent and gently blot the stain.
- Work from the outer edge of the stain to the center.
- Do not rub the stain; this could damage the fabric.
- Do not over-saturate the fabric; this could damage the upholstery's filling material.
- Allow the fabric to dry completely after testing.
- After cleaning, pile fabrics may need to be brushed with a non-metallic bristle brush to restore their appearance.
Fabric Cleaning Codes
The appropriate Cleaning Code for each fabric is listed on the pattern's detailed fabric specification page. For upholstered pieces, these codes apply only to the outer fabric covering.
- S Solvent-based cleaning agents only (water-free, dry cleaning)
- W Water-based cleaning agents only (solvent-free cleaners, shampoos or foams)
- WS Water-based cleaning agents should be used for water-based stains; use solvent cleaners for oil- based stains
- WS Bleach Cleanable Can be cleaned with bleach, in addition to water- and solvent-based agents; these fabrics will
have specific recomendations in 'Special Notes' at the top of this page
Durability And Maintenance of Pile Fabrics
Velvet is a pile fabric in which the cut or loop ends of the warp yarns form the surface, which is usually short and dense. Many effects are possible, such as keeping the pile erect, or laying it in one direction during finishing to give the surface a very high luster, or panné. Velvets may be made of any fiber and are appreciated for their rich, luxurious look, soft hand and excellent drape.
The pile construction of velvet fabrics makes them susceptible to crushing, shading and scarring, which will naturally occur over time. This sensitivity to marking varies with each fabric depending on the pile height, density, and the fiber content, but shading is part of velvet's unique and valued aesthetic. When it results from normal use, a light brushing will often lift the crushed pile. In cases of severe pressure and/or exposure to moisture, steaming and/or dry cleaning may be required to once again lift the pile. We recommend that this be done by a reputable, professional upholstery cleaner. However, the crushing and shading will reoccur with time and normal use.
As a precaution against crushing during shipping, we take the following steps:
We ship all of our velvets rolled face-in on a tube, wrapped in both corrugated paper and brown paper
before placing it in our plastic shipping bags. The paper helps to protect the sensitive surface of the fabric.
In addition, we apply a warning label to the outside of the package stating "THIS IS VELVET. INSPECT IMMEDIATELY. HANDLE CAREFULLY. NO CLAIMS AFTER 10 DAYS." For large orders, we ship the velvet rolled face-in on a tube in a packing box, which also receives the warning label. Should we receive a complaint of a velvet being crushed or marked during shipment, we will immediately file a claim with the shipping company and arrange to replace the fabric as soon as possible.